Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Balloon Heads

I really didn't know what to call this post, but I feel compelled to write it.

I occasionally follow blogs from old friends from college and other places. Mostly these are amusing little things to read to see how they are doing and what's going on. I like Facebook and Twitter for the same reason. However, one of these has started to anger me greatly.

I'm not going to link to it, mostly because I don't want to start a blog war, and frankly the person in question doesn't deserve any traffic.

What infuriates me about this person, is that I knew them, shared a house with them, and had no idea what raving egomaniac this person is. They believe themselves to be one of the most intelligent, insightful, and wise people ever, and good at everything.

And what are they doing with these amazing capabilities? They work in the back of Target store.

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ. The cognitive dissonance required to consider yourself as smart as Einstein but work in retail is beyond me. How the obviousness of your shortcomings does not become apparent escapes me. I've known smart people doing dumb jobs. They are bright, capable people, but they are not uber-geniuses. This person considers themselves one of the intellectual elite.

I'm not sure what makes me more angry. If they are right, then I am angry because they are wasting their own potential and depriving the rest of the species of what they have to offer. If they are wrong, and they are, the presumption and ego just sickens me.

However, I can rest satisfied that they are exactly where they deserve to be: in the middle of nowehere, working a worthless job, and living in their own little world. Thankfully, that little world has absolutely no impact on ours.

No comments: